Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Portland's Own "Auntie Mame" Passes

David James "Mame" Hamilton died June 4 of a stroke at age 72.

I met "Mame" in the early 70s through my boyfriend at the time, Ron D. who was involved with Portland's drag court. David was crowned Rose Queen VI in 1967.

Most drag queens tend to live life bigger and louder than most and Mame Hamilton was no exception. She lived bigger and brasher and louder than almost anyone, but she was also sweet and funny and had that infamous drag queen wit that could eviscerate with a single word.

Not a particularly pretty drag, Mame was tall and thin but when in full drag could be as elegant as Rosalind Russell herself. She stayed involved doing charity work for the gay community and the AIDS community until her death.

We'll miss her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I miss her, just thinking of her laugh makes my smile…..

Anonymous said...

It's been almost 10 years since her passing and I still miss her wonderful laugh !