Thursday, April 20, 2006

Girl Friends


I just realized that despite being a Kinsey 6 (for those of you who don't know the Kinsey scale a 6 is totally, unequivocally, no-way-in-hell-would-I-ever-do-it-with-a-woman, exclusively homosexual) I actually had three girl friends in high school. You might say I was one of those serial monogomous types. Ha! But all three of these girls were wonderful friends and I loved being with them. All three of them, unfortunately were terribly disappointed that they held no sexual sway over me. I was just a confused little gay boy who loved being with girls and didn't realize that to girls at that age "going out" was a lot more serious than just hanging out.

Jeanette Gramlich was a svelte red-head with long luxurious hair. She was quite cute. We hung around together for about a year before she moved out of the neighborhood and had to change schools. She had a great personality and was definitely sweet.

Trudi Rich was the cousin of my friend Tom. She was a bit more lively than Jeanette and a bit more zaftig than Jeanette but still quite pretty. She got all serious about us hanging out together. She and I were hanging out together as I was coming out and eventually I was forced to tell her that I was gay. She was a good Catholic girl (as was I) and one of her best friends was a Catholic nun. She and Trudi hung around with all of us and we were all on good terms. But once I told Trudi I was gay, she dropped me like a hot potato which I certainly don't blame her for. She did go to her parents and complain though and her mother called me and told me to leave Trudi alone and not see her anymore. Well, that I could blame on someone. I have a feeling the nun had a hand in all of this but I could never prove it.

Finally in my senior year, I and some of my other friends starting hanging with Eileen Konetzky, an Oregon transplant originally from New York. She was quite worldly compared to the rest of the girls at my high school and had a great car. She was the one girl friend that was hell bent on getting me into bed. Well, it wasn't going to happen and at one auspicious day after a messy round of her trying to get me to make out with her, she guessed the truth and confronted me on it. We split up of course but she wasn't angry, just disappointed.

I don't regret my time with these friends. They helped me understand who I was and we had great times together. I'm glad though that I had my act together enough that I never used them as beards or tried to prove myself by going to bed with them. I still love to hang with women and have some great women friends today that I would be hard pressed to replace in my life. Life's good.

No comments: