Friday, March 24, 2006

ROBBED!


I'm always the first into my office. I work flexible hours and like to get in around 7am. When I arrived this morning, I noticed that I had dropped a bunch of pennys on the floor of my office, yet I couldn't remember doing so. I also noticed that I had left a blue bag hanging out of my left side draw.

When I opened the middle draw of my desk to get a pen, I realized that I'd been burgled. All of the pens that are usually in a specific spot had been thrown into the back of the draw and about 20 (new, shiny, collectable, state) quarters that I had accumulated were gone!

A couple of other colleagues of mine had also come in to work by then and they realized that a few minor things were missing.

Security was called and a report was made. He figured it was a quick run through since they had dropped the coins and left things hanging out of drawers. We were all rather relieved that it was a minor incident.

About an hour after security had left, I checked my clock radio that normally sits on my desk and realized it too was missing! Shit! I can't believe I didn't notice it before.

It was obvious that the thief had taken a bit more than we thought. So we started a thorough search on the ground floor of our building. Well, my losses were pretty minor compared to George's. They took his high-end Macintosh computer. Sad thing is that he'd been working on a lot of classes that will begin in two weeks and had been saving his work on his C: drive and not on the University's back up system. He's lost weeks and weeks of hard work.

UPDATE: George was checking around his desk to see if anything else was missing and found a cell phone that looks like the thief dropped while robbing the office. Security will have a ball with this. Talk about dumb thieves. I wonder if someone will come back and ask if anyone found a phone? Hmmmm.

No comments: